There are few things more frightening than when you are towing a trailer and you start to experience trailer sway. Maybe it is a particularly windy day, or an 18-wheeler just passed you, and you feel the trailer begin to sway back and forth. Experiencing this can be very alarming, and trailer sway is one of the most common causes of accidents involving trailers. Unfortunately, it can also be the main reason people put their trailer away for good. That’s why Blue Ox decided to create SwayPro, a product to prevent trailer sway, regardless of the weather conditions.
Why Does Trailer Sway Happen?
When a force, such as wind, comes at the side of the trailer, it can cause it to sway from side to side. The trailer can quickly start to sway out of control once it is set in motion. Trailer sway can also be caused by “bow wind” from an 18-wheeler passing and creating a sudden and forceful gust of wind. Driving down uneven roads or areas under construction may also create trailer sway. Sway happens, so how do we prevent it? The simple answer is by using SwayPro, the weight distribution hitch by Blue Ox.
How Does SwayPro Prevent Trailer Sway?
- TensionSwayPro works by using tension on the spring bars to keep them taut. The attached brackets ensure that the pressure from the spring bars keeps the trailer in alignment with the towing vehicle.
- Weight DistributionSwayPro is geometrically optimized and computer designed for the highest quality weight distribution and sway prevention without any additional adjustments. The design features self-locking spring bars that flex for optimal weight distribution and clearance.
- Built-in ControlSwayPro’s sway control is built into the head: if you’re pulling your trailer in an environment that would create sway, one of the sway bars becomes more loaded than the other, which keeps the trailer in line and centered with the towing vehicle.
- SwayPro is Safer Than Friction Sway Control BarsFriction sway control devices aren’t designed to bring the trailer back to center behind the tow vehicle; they simply slow down the sway. Friction devices can stop working in wet weather conditions like rain or snow. SwayPro’s built-in sway prevention works in any weather. Friction hitches are noisy. You will enjoy a quieter and smoother ride with SwayPro.
- User-friendly DesignSwayPro is one of the most user-friendly systems on the market. Created with the user in mind, it allows for quick and easy hook-up and there is no need to disconnect before backing up like other similar devices.
Stay Safe on the Road
Safety is so important when driving, especially with a trailer in tow. Whether you’re pulling a trailer with horses, or a travel trailer for a family vacation, you need sway prevention you can trust. SwayPro is compatible with many different types of vehicles, from minivans to ¾ ton pickups and more. Join the 65% of vehicles on the road that trusts the Blue Ox name for their quality, durability, and safety.
Ready to Try SwayPro for Yourself?
Let us help you! We can discuss the type of vehicle you have, the hitch head you will be using, and determine the right model for you based on hitch shank options and appropriate tongue weight. For questions or to order SwayPro, reach out to our Customer Care team today!